Monday, December 11, 2017

Volunteering:Honors College Student Council, Habitat for Humanity Store, and My Little Brother


So, this semester is almost over!  I have so many things to wrap up--tests, papers, Christmas presents---and my volunteer experiences.

Therefore, prepare for a long post because I have three big commitments to discuss. 

The first is Honors College Student Council! My first political position at ETSU! 
Some of you may remember the first Collo class we had this semester, everyone voted for a representative for their programs. 

After some short rambling about my love for people, words, and Parks and Rec, I was lucky enough to be elected as the Presidential Honors Community Service Scholars Representative (the first one ever because we're a new program). 
Over the past few months, I have attended meetings to discuss and plan events that are important to the Honors College, such as the Social and Charity Ball.  I even joined a committee with outside meetings to plan the Social and smaller events. Though I have been pretty quiet in most of the meetings, it has been a wonderful experience for me to represent my peers and learn more about the way the Honors College works. Throughout the semester, I have invested 8 hours into this organization.  

Another service opportunity I participated in was volunteering at the Habitat for Humanity Restore in Johnson City. I did three separate shifts totaling 10 hours. I really like it there because all the workers are so lovely and grateful for the help. You just walk in and get to work. Most of my duties included going through and/or accepting donations, then pricing items and finding a place for them on the floor.
My favorite part: the store gets so many books that all of them can't go on the floor, so the manager (Wendy) lets me take the ones I want! It's a dream come true. I've only taken two so far because I don't want to deprive the good people of the Tri-Cities, but it's always fun to browse for a new read while I volunteer.

Last one (and the most wonderful of all): my little brother!!

No, my mother did not have another kid. That'd be a crazy curve-ball and would really alter the balance of attention my siblings and I have carefully crafted.
I have a new little brother because I volunteer for the Boys and Girls Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters
Program.  (20 hours of Service so far)

The process of getting a little was quite extensive. I had to fill out an online application, attend an orientation, go through a 2 hour interview, pass a background check and have 5 references interviewed, then do hours of online training/testing, and then finally get a match.
I originally thought I would be matched up with a little sister because they typically match by gender, but that's not what happened! Our local Boys and Girls club had several young boys who wanted to be a part of the program, but not enough older boys/men choose to volunteer.

My little brother, whom I met in October, is delightful. I won't say too many details because I don't want to share too much personal information about him on the web, but he looks a lot like me--red hair, freckles, green eyes. People think he's my real sibling a lot, so that's a fun little bit for us. For the purposes of the blog, I'll just call him Lil J.

I meet with Lil J every week for two hours. He's pretty shy, so at first I didn't know if he liked me, but now we're regular ole pals. Our favorite activities are playing pool and making paper airplanes. I've been trying to help him with his reading. He doesn't enjoy it very much though, so I have to bribe him with Reese's and cookies.

The next few weeks without him will be weird, but I'm gonna send a card and plan some fun stuff for when I see him in January.

Overall, my volunteer experiences this semester have been thoroughly enjoyable, and that was the goal. It doesn't feel much like a requirement when I'm doing things that make me a better person and bring joy to others. I'm looking forward to next semester!


Until Next Time (which will be only a few hours! I've got another one to do),

Maddie



Total Hours:
2 Helping at the Honors Tailgate
8 Honors College Student Council
10 Habitat for Humanity Store
20 Boys and Girls Club

40!









No comments:

Post a Comment