Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Project Proposal

Greetings everyone! 

For Collo this semester, we were asked to pick a personal project. Something we have wanted to work on for awhile, but feel like there is no time. 

I gave this assignment a lot of thought, and what I've come up with is a three-tiered self-improvement plan. 


The "Body, Mind, and Soul"  approach or alternatively "Bike, Book, and Big" 

The first facet of this project will relate to fitness.Voluntary exercise has never been an interest of mine. Ya know, I wouldn't exactly call myself a gym rat. Alas! this past semester I discovered an activity that I really enjoy: cycling class. It's a "fun"-filled hour of hills and sweat and pop music. It is one way to be active, and I actually love it (plus my bff Kate does too). 
We usually go to class on Thursday nights, but I'd like to take the commitment as step further. As part of my project, I will be spending at least 10 hours cycling. I'm also giving up sugary drinks for Lent, only drinking water, tea (of the herbal variety, not sweet), and coffee for the next 40 days. This should also contribute to a general improvement in my health. 


The second facet of my project regards a topic I have written of extensively: books. I love reading, but as a Political Science and English double major, it seems most of what I read is infuriating (news) or required. However, I would really like to get back into reading for fun. So as the "Mind" part of my project, I'm going to work on reading books. To accomplish this, I will cut out pointless scrolling on my phone before bed and pick up a book instead. Then I can blog about what I'm reading. 
My first choice is called Evicted by Matthew Desmond. It is about  "poverty and profit in the American city"; it has fueled my desire to work on housing issues and become a better volunteer for my Service Learning job at the Johnson City Housing Authority. After that one, I would like to try a classic fiction book like a Virginia Woolf novel. 


The final facet has to do with my soul. Every week, I continue to mentor my "little brother" for the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. My time with him--just playing games or helping with homework-- reminds me of the good that comes from just being a friend. This kid is so sweet, and I love being a person who can just encourage him. It's like having a younger sibling without all the hassle of arguing and driving them around. 


I think it will be more than 25 hours worth of work, but all of it is meaningful to me. Anyway, I think this project will help me to focus on the values I chose last semester: justice and love. 


I hope I come out of this semester with a greater appreciation for my health,  a couple new book recommendations, and a better relationship with my little brother. 

Maddie 

No comments:

Post a Comment