Thursday, October 12, 2017

Absurdity of Truth Exhibit & Honors Tailgating


Hello again,

These past few weeks have been so busy, but have felt quite slow.  Classes are getting tough, the bags under my eyes are noticeable, and I am ready for fall break. However, two experiences have really boosted my morale.


  • The Absurdity of Truth Exhibit: Recently I had the chance to visit the Slocumb Art Galleries on campus, a collection of mixed media work by John Feodorov. His art makes a commentary on finding his identity as a Native American in a country that continues to degrade things he values like the earth that we live on. Many of his pieces featured an aggressive interaction of animals with humans. The artist explains, however, that the issues he focuses on are not exclusively "native issues but global" ones. In the same way, his identity--and by extension, his art-- is not confined to being Native American. Like we discussed in the last Colloquium class, the question of who we are is a complex one, and the answer can never be answered in one label. 
"Protecting Civilization" (2010)




  • Honors Tailgate: Typically, you would not find me at a tailgate, especially when there is very loud country music playing in the distance. Yet, there I was! I spent 4 hours of my Saturday at the Ada Earnest Honors House, where I volunteered my time and physical labor to help carry tables and set up tents. The rest of the time was taken by hot dog eating and socializing with some new friends. I was lucky enough to have good conversation with a few fellow PHCSS gals, and I feel happy to know more about them. The real highlight of the day was a sweet lil lass named Kate Carter! She is a perfect angel that was sent to be my new best bud. I've been quite obsessed with making her be my friend since she started talking about my favorite book in Collo, and THEN, she complimented my overalls. The world was very nice in sending her to talk to me at the tailgate. We really clicked and have since spent every day together. She even agreed to watch my favorite show, Parks and Recreation! I will blog about her a lot in the future as she is stuck with me for the next four years now. :) 

Until next time, 

Maddie 

No comments:

Post a Comment