Monday, December 11, 2017

Where do I go from here?


Hello friends,

If you read the title of this post, and immediately starting singing a Pocahontas ballad, let's talk later.
I like you.

Today's topic (and it seems to be the topic of every day) is the future, but more than that--What kind of life do I want to live?

In our last Collo class, we discussed the characteristics of what makes good, useful, happy, and successful lives. The verdict is that all of these are quite subjective, but most of them include some aspects of love, service, fulfilling occupations, and living according to personal standards.
For me, these are not mutually exclusive. If I'm living a good or useful life, then I'll likely be happy and successful in my own eyes.
So, a happy life is what I want to focus on for my future.


As someone who loves to plan, who has lists for my to-do lists, and who is comforted by details,
the future is a daunting topic of discussion because of all the unknowns.

Luckily, I found some guidance to make it more simple. Where did I find it, you ask? Divine intervention? A crystal ball? A prophetic dream?
Nope, take another guess... a book!
Once again, I find the answer to my questions in written word. More specifically this time, it was Joe Biden's new book Promise Me, Dad.  One of the first pages is inscribed with a quote from Immanuel Kant! ( Probably none of you will geek out about this connection, but he is known in philosophy as the father of Transcendental Idealism, and he is super important in Political Science)

His words give me simple guidelines for the future I want.


"Rules for Happiness: something to do, someone to love, something to hope for."

Immediately, it made sense to me. Those three directives fit very clearly into my disposition.
Maybe I can't predict where I will live or exactly what job I will have. I know things I'm a fan of now will change; maybe I'll get tired of my bangs and maybe Nashville will be too crowded when I decide to settle down, but a few things in my life are constant. So, I feel comfortable doing a breakdown of goals and following these rules.

A Happy Life

Short-Term (aka the sweet, sweet bliss that will be Christmas break) 

  • Something to do: READ!!! I have so many books that need my attention. Also as it will be Christmas and I have to make my happiness a priority, I must consume lots of cute sugar cookies, and most importantly, give all the presents I've been working so hard to get right. 
  • Someone to love: This one is the easiest. I'm surrounded by the most wonderful people in the whole universe like my perfect boyfriend, Grayson (I finally get to see him soon, so woohoo!!!) and my crazy family, full of relatives I fiercely adore--most significantly, my cousin/best friend/soulmate/ life coach Amanda. They will receive showers of compliments and gifts and quality time with me in the next few weeks, and I will be overflowing with a feeling of wholeness and probably tears of joy.  
  • Something to hope for: A White Christmas!!! I know this is a long shot as I live in middle Tennessee and I've already checked the weather. BUT I have seen every Hallmark Christmas movie and I really believe in miracles, so fingers crossed! Even if it doesn't happen, I also hope that the good people of Alabama choose not to elect Roy Moore and that maybe we save Net Neutrality. I'd use Christmas miracles for that too. 
Mid-Term (5 years) 
  • Something to do: Well, I will be 24 and likely enrolled in law school or some sort of graduate program. I genuinely love learning, and I think I should use any knowledge I get to make a difference, so perhaps I will be participating in meaningful discussions and research.
  • Someone to love: Still Grayson. Five years from now, I think we'll be married and every day I will get to hold his hand and make him feel appreciated for how amazing he is and we'll have cute little pets we can love, too! 
  • Something to hope for: In 5 years, hopefully I have a restored sense of faith in the country that I love so much. My hope is that in 2022, we are committed to justice and good governance and equity. Also on a more personal note, I think I'll be hoping for more time to spend with my family. It's scary to think about life without any of the people I love now.

Long-Term (10 years) 

  • Something to do: This puts me at 29, so I hope to be working as a lawyer or some sort of expert in policy research. Also as a hobby, I hope to have a really nice garden with lots of flowers and only the vegetables I like. 
  • Someone to love: Never changing, always Grayson (and my family and Joe Biden) 
  • Something to hope for: I don't know if I'll have a kid by then and I'm terrified even thinking about it now. But if I did, I hope I'm the mother he/she deserves, one that loves him/her with every ounce of who I am and teaches him/her to love that way too. 
Okay, so you may have some thoughts about my predictions. You may think my idealism is coming into play, and that I won't end up with my current boyfriend, but I know I will because I would have thought that too before I met him. He's the one I would have never planned on when I was thinking of life three years ago. My education and career were always the main focuses of my plan, and maybe I'd find someone along the way as an established adult. Yet, here I am: 19 and super in love. I mean I watch romantic comedies now, and I think "Hmm... Tom Hanks isn't that great." because I have someone better. Isn't that wild? I have this perfect person for me who beats the king of rom coms!!!


Anyway, I'm feeling really happy and blessed right now, even in the heat of finals week. 

Thank you to any dedicated reader that made it to the end of this. 
I hope you all have things to do, people to love, and hopes to believe in. 

Until next time, 
Maddie 

No comments:

Post a Comment